Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Citizenship

I’ve been asked again why I’m not a Canadian citizen.

The short answer is because I’m an American.  The longer answer is twofold:  1)  I would never do anything to jeopardize my American citizenship; and 2) I don’t see a reason to get Canadian citizenship.

I am qualified.  Here’s the checklist:  over age 18, speak English, permanent resident, lived in Canada for at least 3 of the last 4 years, not a criminal, and knowledgeable about Canada.

I would have to take a citizenship test to verify that I know more about Canada and its geography and politics than the average Canadian.

Next is the truly great stumbling block to me getting Canadian citizenship.  No one ever believes me so I’m going to prove it.  To become a Canadian citizenship, I would have to swear an oath to the Queen.  Really.

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

SEE?

Can’t do it.  Nope.  Not a chance.  And I won’t just cross my fingers and “swear” the oath while really intending to not honor it.  Can’t do that either.

I’m an American.



No comments:

Post a Comment